Winter and spring are wonderful seasons to enjoy. However, they also come with some added risks for water damage in your home or business. The weather during these seasons can be quite extreme at times, and there are a number of different water related problems that can occur. Water damage can happen any time, but its likelihood increases during the winter and spring.
Common causes of water damage:
- Burst pipes from cold temperatures: Cold winter temperatures are sometimes frigid enough to cause pipes to burst. This can cause a significant amount of damage to your home or business.
- Sump pump failures: Many people rely on sump pumps to keep their basements dry. Cold winter weather can cause the sump pump’s discharge pipe to freeze. This will stop it from working. However, there are actually many things that can go wrong to cause a sump pump to stop working. Regardless of the cause, when one fails, a basement can flood very quickly.
- Water heater leaks: A water heater leak is something that can happen anytime of the year. However, people tend to use more hot water when it’s cold outside. Also, some heating systems run off of a water heater. This is why water heater leaks can be a problem during this time of the year.
- Washer Leaks: Spring cleaning is a great tradition. However, it also means that more people will be using their washing machines during this time of the year. This means there is potentially a greater risk of washer leaks occurring in the spring time.
- Dishwasher Leaks: Just as spring cleaning can lead to a rise in the number of washing machine leaks, it can lead to a rise in dishwasher leaks as well. Dishwasher leaks are sometimes unnoticeable at first, which allows them to cause damage without you even realizing it.
- Flooding: The most difficult source of water damage to avoid is that created by nature. Heavy precipitation, along with melting ice and snow, can easily flood your home or business. There is so much potential for flooding during this time of the year, because the snow and ice pile up during the winter, and then quickly melt during the spring thaw.
Have your home monitored for water damage
A good way to help prevent your home or business from being destroyed by water damage is to monitor them. Equipment can be installed, with sensors that will detect any potential water related problems. If there are any water related issues, you will know. This will allow you to potentially avoid disaster. At the very least, you can learn about a problem, and get it taken care of as soon as possible.
Learn More - About water monitoring systems from OMNI Security
There are many benefits to having your home or business monitored for water damage. If there is flooding taking place, you can immediately get your most valuable possessions out of harm’s way. If a sump pump loses power, you can quickly do whatever is needed to fix the problem, and get it running again. Also, if you have your home or business monitored for water damage and the pipes burst, you can turn off the water main to avoid further damage. Regardless of what issue comes up, you will be able to respond quickly.
Winter and spring are seasons that bring good times, and unfortunately potential water damage issues as well. Having your home monitored for water damage will give you peace of mind, so you can enjoy these wonderful seasons instead of worrying. As with most things in life, it’s always better to be one step ahead.